Sunday, November 19, 2006

Is it poisonous?

When we lived in "TheCrackerbox", a small Indiana rural house my folks rented in the late 1940's and early fifties, snakes were everywhere! We would walk down the hill to neighbors in the summertime when the tar was all melty and snake carcasses would be smashed into the tar , LOTS of snakes. Snakes were all over our yard, mostly garters. The fields were full of blue racers, and frequently we would bale one up into the hay wagon, sometimes almost dead...but sometimes NOT ! Those heads with all those teeth creeped me out. When we moved to a farm house I have vague recollections of Queenie, a German Shepherd, and our dog Rusty, a medium terrier/collie (or SUMTHIN') fighting over a large blue racer, each dog pulling an opposite end. Snakes were rarely seen when we moved into housing in and later near Waterloo, Indiana. I have never seen a snake in Bryan, Ohio.The last snake I hit was a blue racer, 21 years ago on the way to work. I hit it just so...it was hit by both front tires...yes , so I was right when I was a kid...they DO get that big. Normally the birds (lots of turkey vultures around here) would have eaten it or drug it away in nine hours time, but I noticed i twas still on this little-used country road as I returned, so I took a look...crushed head and tail ,and I think it was a blue racer or maybe some sort of bull snake...I ain't no snake expert, after all !
After I got out of the army my friends would come back from Michigan with mushrooms in May. I got the "bug" and had instant success in1976 when we found nearly an entire station wagon full of large yellow morels near Johannesburg. The next year we were coming back from dropping off our kids in Grand Haven at their grandparents' marina on the Grand River. Somewhere in the piney woods I decided to go pick mushrooms! Now what I am about to tell may sound like"a story"...but I COULD NOT TAKE FIFTY STEPS WITHOUT SEEING SNAKES. Medium sized snakes that looked like sticks on the ground! They were infesting that woods by the thousands, I suppose! I got the heck outta there and never went back! Near Kalamazoo by a railroad track I tried again...days yield: one dried-up mushroom and fifty snakes! ~Dexter

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home