Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Rockin' in the Jungle Clearing

Introduction by my brother:
This little piece by my younger brother, Dexter ben al-Dogg of War, a Viet Nam veteran, was apparently inspired by a recent Internet hoax involving Capt. Kangaroo, Mr. Rogers and Lee Marvin.
--Brother Miles



The night we threw our M16s down

I was in the war that the US was in more than a generation ago, Vietnam. Bloody it was, and I saw my share of action.
One night a firefight broke out ---we were ambushed, and many were getting shot with small arms, AK47s and M16s.
They had us retreating , and we heard a commotion in between bursts of fire.
We had stumbled onto a USO show.
Alvin Lee and his band, Ten Years After, were entertaining. The Vietnamese must have been awed at the sound...soon they quit shooting and started whooping it up.
I realized what was happening and took off my bandolier and my helmet and stood up and waved at the opposing soldiers.
They waved back and we joined up and strolled up closer to the stage. One of our guys offered up some toke to the Viets and we all kicked up our heels and toe-tapped as Alvin played his amazing licks.
When the show ended we and our new friends back-slapped and laughed back to the place where the fighting had ceased.
We gave them our Chiclets and C-Rations and they gave us a pass from killing us.
Now this story is true and I should know, as I was the one who started the whole thing off, our night kickin' and jammin' with Alvin Lee and the Viet Cong. Rockin' and Rollin' was better than killin'.

We had noticed Lee Marvin, Bob Keeshan, and Fred Rogers in the crowd, and the Man-in-the-Moon smiled down and winked a nod of approval.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home